Complaining to the Press

Not everything is covered by the ‘Law of the Land’. Most professions and many major occupations are governed by professional bodies and trade associations. You need to know how to engage with these as well as the law.

You should also understand that unless a code of conduct is expressly mentioned in law, you do not have to take this route. If a newspaper has libelled you, you can choose to complain to the relevant regulator: IPSO for most of the national press; Impress for others. Or you can still sue! (Though such an approach is not for the faint of heart).

There are also issues in respect of broadcasting which you may wish to raise with Ofcom.

Key sectors (and related codes)

You may also wish to contact campaign groups that focus on one or more of these areas.